Pages

Monday, November 01, 2004

President of the World

Here we are the night before the Presidential elections in the US of A - or should I say the world?

A country whose domestic Baseball competion is called the World Series - come on - who are you trying to kid?

So how many American citizens ( only 20% of whom actually have passports - and that is probably only to travel to the Caribbean or Mexico, or if they are desperate to leave the US, to go to Canada - sorry Canadians, I am only joking! ) know anything about the rest of the world?

Yes, there is something outside of the great US of A!

But, back to my original thought, do Americans believe that they are voting tomorrow for the President of the USofA, or the President of the World?

My great fear is that the average American believes that their President should be the President of the World, and that the rest of the world also fears that in reality the US President acts like the the President of the World!

It could be argued that the demise of the USSR was not a good thing, but is one of the reasons for the recent spread of international terrorism. With no superstate to counteract the USA, it is left to terrorism to attempt to counter American Imperialism.

But who will be the saviour of the World? - Bush or Kerry?

As a UK "social democrat" my natural instinct is to favour Kerry, but what are your views?

I would be really interested to hear the views of US people to find out if you are aware of International concerns or if you really are purely concerned about the US and no one else.

Finally, to be more serious, I would like to leave you with this

A new priest at his first mass was so nervous he could hardly speak.

After mass he asked the monsignor how he had done.

The monsignor replied, “ When I am worried about getting nervous On the pulpit, I put a glass of vodka next to the water glass. If I start to get nervous, I take a sip.”

So next Sunday he took the monsignor’s advice.
At the beginning of the sermon, he got nervous and took a drink.

He proceeded to talk up a storm.

Upon his return to his office after the mass, he found the following note on the door:
1) Sip the vodka, don’t gulp.
2) There are 10 commandments, not 12.
3) There are 12 disciples, not 10.
4) Jesus was consecrated, not constipated.
5) Jacob wagered his donkey, he did not bet his ass.
6) We do not refer to Jesus Christ as the late J.C.
7) The Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are not referred to as Daddy, Junior and the spook.
8) David slew Goliath, he did not kick the sh*t out of him.
9) When David was hit by a rock and was knocked off his donkey, don’t say he was stoned off his ass.
10)We do not refer to the cross as the “Big T.”
11)When Jesus broke the bread at the last supper he said, “take this and eat it for it is my body.” He did not say “ Eat me” .
12)The Virgin Mary is not called “ Mary with the Cherry,.
13)The recommended grace before a meal is not: Rub-A-Dub-Dub thanks for the grub, Yeah God.
14)Next Sunday there will be a taffy pulling contest at ST.Peter’s not a peter pulling contest at St. Taffy’s.
The Origination of this letter is unknown, but it brings good luck to everyone who passes it on. The one who breaks the chain will have bad luck.
Do not keep this letter. Do not send money just forward it to five of your friends to whom you wish good luck and a great laugh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am unsure as to the world view of Americans as I don't own a Passport nor have I ever left the US for a full day however, I did favor Bush not Kerry. I am concerned with what happens in the world although ultimately individual Americans really have no control over what their government does if we are unhappy with one party etc we vote for the others. If we live in a republican state and think like a democrate we tend to vote with our feet. ie. moving to areas where others think as we do. There are certainly great things outside of the US I couldn't agree more on that point. I hope that not everyone feels that our way is the best or that we devalue their thoughts, cultures and practices. This is why many Americans feel we are a "melting pot" I have had the good fortune over the years to meet and speak with others from many countries and I am very impressed with the knowledge and abilities of many people I have met from abroad.